Tuesday, September 4, 2012

As the school year begins






As the school year begins I am already excited about the future knowledge that Professor White will bestow on my this year! I have already learned so much about a social media outlet I thought I was beyond familiar with, seeming as I have had twitter since my senior year I thought there might be a few tricks to learn, short cuts, etc. how wrong I was. Prior to class I had no idea that a private twitter user tweets could not be broadcast in a live tweet by using the # connection. Thus, with this knowledge not only solved my problems with being able to participate in class but I also finally solved the puzzle as to why DJ's I tweet to before concerts, etc who often times re-tweet most of their fan base never re-tweeted me! During class time I created a new twitter and this one is public! I can not wait to begin tweeting from a public account... maybe now I will finally be re-tweeted by one of my favorite artists....tbd! (I go to Alesso, Ingrosso and Otto Knows on October 27th, so until then!)
Moreover, I find there to be a much larger difference between a public and private twitter. I find myself without sensors on my private account and often times do not allow older family members, public affiliated accounts or university affiliated accounts to follow me. With this new public account created I will not only learn how to sensor my ideas, opinions and thoughts in order to be able to positively broadcast to a larger audience without negative feedback. I plan on also using this twitter account for future internships, jobs, etc to be able to demonstrate my knowledge, ability, and skill with current day social media. 
"If you have nothing nice to say don't say it all" will definitely be a motto I thrive to follow within my upcoming tweets on my new public twitter. As Professor White mentioned in class with her debacle with a friend that only tweets negativity- no one needs a constant negative update on their news feed. In other words, no Eeyore's allowed. 




Homework:

I could not find the specific storify articles you requested us to read. Nor could I come across any stories when I searched the issues of age and social media manager.



I was uncertain about whether we were supposed to be looking at the Zoellner Arts Center page via the Lehigh orchestrated websites or Facebook. However after looking at both I can notice a drastic difference even from the past year/couple of months. Because I was involved in the beginning stages of the social media entrepreneurship class prior to this semester I became familiar with the Zoellner Arts Center page. It appears that the one on the web (i.e. not Facebook’s page) is structurally organized better then last years page as well as is more generally aesthetically pleasing. The pictures are appealing to a younger crowd, and the color scheme is bright and inviting opposed to the old theme of our school’s colors, brown and white. In addition to providing an easier method of purchasing tickets and even donating as well as offering clear information about upcoming events, seasons and dates. Overall the website is much more appealing.
   Furthermore, the Facebook page seems to have taken on a younger voice. The status’s and photos that are published appear to have a better tone in which it gets its message across. In addition, the page has begun outreaching to its followers in an interactive manor. For example, by asking fun questions such as- “Time for a season opener fun game. Tell us your favorite 80's fashion statement.” Interacting with followers is a great social media tool. It generates a positive follower base by creating a sense of need for its followers and a sense of their individual importance to the page’s cause- (in this case increasing the awareness about the events occurring at Zoellner and around the Lehigh valley.) In addition to not only increasing the page’s overall likes. Furthermore, the page seems to have updated its status’s to not only broadcasting dates and ticket sale information about upcoming events but positive recaps of old events. For example, I found the August 27th post regarding the Rock of Ages play list to be a positive contribution to the page. The play list gave page followers a chance to hear what they missed out on! …. Who knows, that could be the last Zoellner event that follower misses out on!

Ideas for increasing the number of likes on the Zoellner page would be increasing its popularity through social media exposure. For example, students and professors tweeting the link, or making it their status on Facebook is a good place to start!






1 comment:

  1. Nice observations about the page content. The Website is completely new, and lots of content still needs to be created.

    I just sent you a link to the article of the Appropriate age for social media managers via email. I hope you have a chance to write some reflections on that before class tomorrow. Give it a try - it's a pretty easy read.

    ReplyDelete